Engine joy...

Last I heard, the mechanic was trying to weld a spanner to one of the bolts in a desperate attempt to remove it!

If you have got away without needing a new crank then you are lucky.

Could be caused by a number of things but its no suprise that this happens when you rev a metro engine to 8Krpm.

Time to swap for somethings better???

LOL they are damn good bolts, once the bolt head is off, it’s surprisingly easy to remove the threaded part with a pair of mole grips.

I think new ones cost 50P each (they need replacing anyway) and if i cant shift them after a couple of minutes, out with the angle grinder, its not worth spending too much time on any nut or bolt.

I’ll try telling them that, Phil. It’s a little bit worrying when they start telling me they can’t get undo a bolt. I don’t go asking them how to do my job, do I?

Randy, nah, I’ve got a strange affection for my Metro engine. I’m sure it’ll be great when it’s all balanced up. At least for a couple of thousand miles

I’ll try telling them that, Phil. It’s a little bit worrying when they start telling me they can’t get undo a bolt. I don’t go asking them how to do my job, do I?

Yes, that’s worrying.
You sure they’re competent?

Especially if they are charging by the hour, say �50ph labour rate, so thats 83p per minute, for the cost of the bolt they shouldn’t spend anymore than 30-60secs trying to get it undone.

Make sure they dont charge you for time.

They’re a good bunch of guys at Nick Whales, they’ve always looked after me well in the past, including some pretty major work. I’m sure they’ll get there in the end.

I’ve just heard that Steve from Vibration Free has agreed to sort out the problem bolt.

I’m actually looking forward to finding out what kind of a difference it will make, actually having the bottom end properly balanced.
Also, the valve clearances have been set slightly closer than Lotus spec. We’re using the gaps recommended by Piper, courtesy of Dave Andrews. I’m hoping the engine might sound a fair bit smoother after all this work. (not having 3 knackered big-ends should help there )

They’re a good bunch of guys at Nick Whales, they’ve always looked after me well in the past, including some pretty major work.

Brendan, I agree, theyve seen me ok lately with my HGF and Throttle bodies!

Sorry to hear about the problems!

Are you going at the weekend btw for the official opening?

Theyve got a couple of F1’s there and a fair bit of of other stuff by the sounds of it. Might be worth a trip out!

Phil, they always try to be reasonable about how many hours they bill me for. I guess it helps that I’ve built up a good relationship with them over the past 13 years. Jesus! Have I really been driving Lotus cars for 13 years!? That’s real determination

Hi Robbo, I’m half tempted to go, but I’ve already seen the place when I dropped the car off (nice place incidentally. Much, much better than the old premises), and I’ve got a lot of DIY to do, as we’re doing up three rooms at once.

yep, had the same with a Poorsche dealer, they spent 2 days trying to get a crank pulley off but only charged me the “book” time to replace the oil seal behind it, something like 4 hours

It certainly does help building a relationship with ya dealer

It certainly does help building a relationship with ya dealer

Does Trudy know about that!

Ian

Well, I think we’re getting there. We left Steve at Vibration Free to sort out the flywheel bolts. He’s got everything balanced for me, but he said the bolts wouldn’t come out. They had to be drilled and re-tapped. Reckons the wrong kind of thread lock was used Sounds like my bill will just about pay for the tools he wrecked trying to do the job

Hopefully the engine will be back together this week.