Elise Head Gaskets

Oh, I thought they hadn’t had an LM1 complete the distance.

I guess I didn’t take any notice!

Ian

Well done Judd for finally getting an engine to last 24 hrs!

Ian

That tells me the whle K is a good one, and of course that Judd so far have executed the design better than anybody.
Any engine could die running it like that, and they do.
THAT one didn’t.

Good!

There are other relatively minor contributors to failure, for instance… casting imperfections which may cause 3 to 4% of the failure rate [Rover’s own figures] though this is frequantly used as an excuse for build induced failure, but non the less, for which Rover designed and made available specific motorsport parts to counter the problem as well as other mechaniclly induced issues

Rover’s own figures… that gave me a good laugh. How many K series heads have you actually seen Simon that would allow you to talk authoritively about the cuases of failure?, I have seen and inspected over 400 heads and can tell you that head porosity is a major cause of failure.

Simply because Rover don’t concede it I cannot see any reason to doubt the evidence of my own eyes. It wasn’t so long ago that Rover were denying head gasket failure was at all siginificant, it took collective kicks up the *rse for them to concede the problem.

The quality of head castings has deteriorated since 2000/2001 no question , I have seen sufficient quantity of heads to know that. Given the luxury of a new engine build and selected components for every engine then head gasket failure would not be a problem, however not every owner has the means or desire to effect a complete rebuild, nor should it be necessary. It is only the inconsistent quality of parts and assembly that make HGF a problem, let us not forget that these parts emanate from the very same Rover factory where your ‘expert advice’ is coming from. HGF is a major problem for Rover and it has been clearly shown that despite years of trying Rover could not come up with a solution that they could successfully implement. These recurring problems which have their root cause in production engineering and control will not just go away however much you bury your head in the sand and deny them, poor quality heads and low liners will continue to dog cars and their owners.

Dave

In the past year I have been fascinated that the subject of the K series and its history of HGF could generate so much heat, particularly between two of the protagonists Randy and Simon, with further input from Dave Andrews.I noticed that there had been an uncharacteristic silence but here we go again. I think it would be more useful to people such as me with a K series in the back and a certain nervousness about HGF, if the parties to this discussion did not resort to abuse, sarcasm and undiluted aggression. I suspect if the parties were in a boozer and fuelled by say, eight pints of Stella, the constabulary would already have been involved.
I note that Uldis seems satisfied with the work on his K and I have to say that at Croft it did sound the sweetest machine out there. But no doubt someone will disgree.

But no doubt someone will disgree.

Oh I disagree, but only on your theory on the pub.

All of the main protagonists of the debate I have met and know I like very much. Of those I don’t, people I like and trust think equally highly of them, which is good enough for me.

I think people says things on the Internet they just wouldn’t in real life, or at least as bluntly to somebody’s face without a less aggressive bit of body language. There was a point yesterday (that momentarily offered a glimmer of hope to a cessation of hostilities) when folk were offering each other drives in their cars, that’s not something you do to somebody you’re going to hit!

Yes there’s lots of passion on the subject and I’d like to think that’s what’s coming out. I love Simon’s dedication to his cause, but I also like to hear opposing views (I think he does too, or he wouldn’t come back). Now, could it all be carried out in a more traditional ‘Exiges.com’ manner? Well yes, I think it could, but this is still the Internet, the freest of free-speech zones on the planet, and we’re big boys.

This may be a naive view, but I hope I’m right.

Ian

As a newcomer to internet forums, I can see that you might “debate” something with rather more passion than you might if the other person was in front of you. I not the offer of car comparisons and look forward to reading about the outcome.

Uldis, there is a rumour going about that the head is off your engine for some reason. Can you confirm this ?

Bernard

Amazing! Is this rumour coming from Seloc? if so, I’m not surprised (and one of the reasons why I stopped visiting that site)

No, I can confirm that the car’s head or any engine bits are untouched.
Still at John Marten’s repair centre in Perth if you want to check, but coming out shortly.
The closest thing to the engine side that has been touched is the oil cooler, swapped now for an under-the-radiator one. And that is very far…

Amazing! Is this rumour coming from Seloc? if so, I’m not surprised (and one of the reasons why I stopped visiting that site)

No, I can confirm that the car’s head or any engine bits are untouched.
Still at John Marten’s repair centre in Perth if you want to check, but coming out shortly.
The closest thing to the engine side that has been touched is the oil cooler, swapped now for an under-the-radiator one. And that is very far…

No it’s not a SELOC rumour. Anyway I am genuinely happy that it’s still running OK for you. Honestly.

Bernard

Uldis, there is a rumour going about that the head is off your engine for some reason. Can you confirm this ?

There was also a rumour that Scuffham wrote his car off at Donington a while back… was there any truth in that ?

Right little rumour mill this is !

There was also a rumour that Scuffham wrote his car off at Donington a while back… was there any truth in that ?

Right little rumour mill this is !

Not that I’ve heard anyway.

Bernard

Err, yeah… it was. Randy on here will know better as he was driving it at the time.

It’s no secret… they posted pics on SELOC etc.

Scuffers car wasn’t written off at Donington, it was Silverstone and I was behind the wheel having run into oil at Woodcote. Suprised you didn’t know about this as it was all posted up on SELOC with pics etc ages ago.

SELOC ? What’s that ?

SELOC ? What’s that ?