Downsides to ownership?

Mr opinionated said;

I came from a CSL to a Exige

Pesky said;

As if we couldn’t tell.

I say;

You’ve got to know the right people…but they ain’t located in the land of the shandy drinkers, & they only deal with pikeys like me.

Surely you mean beer-swilling salt of the earth

I recently drove an Exige with a Honda supercharger conversion which sold recently for �2x,xxx (?), and would totally murder most cars on the track and road with 300+ bhp, 780 ish kg and Lotus DNA. Even if it needed brakes, suspension and harnesses would come in at less than �30k. And it was a gorgeous S1.

• where’s me crate of Mackerson

S1 are very old now days and the roofs are utter pants

that’s why you should get an s2!!!.. you can take the roof off!

In round figures, only 600 S1 Exiges were made. Most are in the hands of enthusiasts who are trackday regulars, & who have developed them over a few years. They rarely come up for sale, & “fully track sorted” examples are hardly ever for sale, as most owners have no intention of selling.

So,in reality, you will probably be looking to buy an S2 Exige - simply due to supply & demand.

S2 Exiges are in abundant supply, & have been produced by Lotus in various guises of trim & power. If you ultimely want to ditch the Toyota engine (tuning the base 1.8 litre 192bhp model is not an inexpensive option), then you should buy one as cheaply as possible now. For aftermarket supercharging look at the Bemani kit (Plans Motorsport are the UK agents), & for turbocharging, Weltmeister are the guys to speak to in the UK.

If you’ve �29K available, Jamie’s Bemani must be given very serious consideration see > Here >

If you’re in no great rush, keep your eye on the “Events” section here, or on the well known Trackday Operators sites, & get yourself along to a day where there are a few Exiges booked on. I’m sure that you’ll enjoy the passenger ride

Thanks Pesky…

I’m not ruling out an S2, but I think i’d be hanging on for an S1 if I were going to make the change…there’s always a few up on pistonheads/autotrader/here. Have even considered a motorsport bodied S1 and perhaps spreading the cost of the eventual conversion over a couple of years…

One question though…is it true that you can put the motorsport clams on an S2 elise ??

Dave

Whereabouts are you based? There may well be Exigers in your area, who are more than willing to meet up, & help you with your decision

I’m Northwest based…I know Pegbox is pretty close, and he was kind enough to send me a load of pics of his conversion.

Am not totally green, I know (Gav) TarmacTerrorist so have seen all his experiences with his S2.

Also managed to get a couple of Pax laps at Spa last year with Mr Mckean(sp?) and Burt so have been in both a honda and audi conversion. In fact it was these laps that made me start thinking of the swap !!

Just for reference, anyone know what sort of laptimes would be possible in a SC honda or Audi at Spa ? (purely from a reference point of view…I’m just interested in how it’d compare to a CSL/GT3)

Ps. I’m at Oulton Park tomorrow if the snow holds off !! - Anyone booked on ?

Dave

Ding

I think Gav introduced you at Cadwell(?) last year, so apologies that I hadn’t put 2 & 2 together.

With regards to your penultimate para, I would have thought that the driver would make the biggest difference. At the end of the day, does it really matter, surely the “fun factor” is the most important thing on a trackday? Given the choice (ie I could afford it), I’d take a GT3 anyday, but have no desire to own a CSL. That’s in no way implying that the CSL is not a great car, it’s just my personal prejudice (irrational) against all things BMW.

� for � a well sorted Exige (S1 or S2), is hard to beat in terms of overall driving satisfaction - I just love 'em

Hope you enjoy Oulton tomorrow - I bet there’ll be a few “incidents”, so take care

Yeah…I agree totally, the laps I had with the wee scottish man at Spa were the most fun I’ve had at a trackday, it was also great to see the Lotus ‘community’ in action (piss taking in the pits, helping each other out with their cars etc,etc).

It was purely a question out of interest, since people here have stated that a SC Honda car would dispatch pretty much anything at a trackday. I think a very well driven CSL/GT3 can do Spa in around 2.54 or so. (and no I’m not capable of that!)

Wasn’t me at Cadwell…perhaps at Oulton when Gav was racing?

Wasn’t me at Cadwell…perhaps at Oulton when Gav was racing?

Very probably, cos I was there too. Memory ain’t what it used to be!

� for � a well sorted Exige (S1 or > S2 > ), is hard to beat in terms of overall driving satisfaction - I just love 'em

Blimey did Pesky just say such a nice thing about S2’s

Blimey did Pesky just say such a nice thing about S2’s

The car’s fine, it’s the owners that are the problem

Only kidding

Dont hate the player, hate the game!

Has anyone else made the move from larger cars to less powerfull,lighter cars ?

Lighter yes… less powerful ? Nah, my Lotus (motorsport bodied Elise) kicks out the same power as a CSL… more torque too !

And for around �20K incl. sorted suspension, harnesses, APs etc.etc not a bank breaker either…

Buy one !!

This could be a good base car CLICKY or put panels on this CLICKY

I was going to buy a nice black one with yellow stripes…but some bugger of an Admin beat me to it !

\