Brake problem?

With the engine driving an Elise/Exige it generally has slightly too much bias to the front. Many people racing are using different pads front and rear to address this problem

ogeddes - you must be joking! At the high speed tracks in the usa, aka Road America, I actually notch it up one setting forward into forward brake bias - neutral is only useful in painful tracks like grattan. Have a look at what I am saying - http://www.grattanraceway.com/

Sorry but ask anybody that actually races an Elise or Exige - they ALL do something to try and address the brake inbalance problem. Most do it by uising different pad combinations. And the inbalance is too much braking on the front.If your car tends to lock up the rears - its a problem with your suspension NOT your brakes.I have spent a lot of track time in an Elise and competed a little. markD here who races one in the 750mc uses RS19 front and RS14 rear to combat the problem. SimonS uses brake bias I believe - he was in the Autobytel series last year. I have only heard of one person thinking the same as you - and yes, it was down to suspension setup.Its due to the parts that were available to Lotus when they put the car together - basically the rear caliper is very weedy in comparison to the front - too much so.Of course you may be driving something totally different to the rest of us - ie totally different suspension setup?Owen

quote:markD here who races one in the 750mc uses RS19 front and RS14 rear to combat the problem. [/B]Its been awhile since I was on the board… but just before I fit RS15’s all round… I have found that I just can’t get enough braking to lock the fronts on RS14’s. Going to RS19’s on the front would seem like a bad move (I wait to be corrected [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image]… But as the weight goes forward under the brakes the majority of the deceleration comes from that end, unless you actually have a problem with the fronts actually locking up, then would’nt taking the ballance back to the rear just reduce the overall stopping power?

Beto,notch it up one setting?Are you using a standard Exige brake setup? I didn’t know that we could adjust the bias!It seems to me that this is why people fiddle with different compounds in order to change the bias.Where is that adjustment made?Uldis