Brake ducts

…gives me time to get some bells made up…Perhaps if there are some other people who want bells we can do a group purchase, but over the pond will cost a fortune, will let you know roughly.

If the hubs fit the 3580’s replacement and the 3124s then I could well be interested (saves me specing them and getting somebody to do it).

Let me have an idea on cost.

What did a pair of 3124s cost you? Do you know if the 3580’s replacement (with its bigger air gap) is more?

Thanks, Ian

The Cp3580-2894/5 has been superceded by another part number but AP has no stock at the moment of the new part.

Do you mean the CP5000-510/11? As that has the same air gap as the 3124 and is heavier.

I wonder if the 3124 was too thin and failed a lot?

Ian

Ian i think that could be the right number did not get it down as there would not be stock for another month or so. And it is just over a kg heavier.

The prices were as follows:

3124 : R 3,275 + VAT
replacement for 3580 : R 3,265 + VAT

About R 11 to a pound.

I wonder if the 3124 was too thin and failed a lot?

They replaced the 3580 which had the larger air gaps, so very possibly.

Will get hold of the guy for the bells next week, a friend of mine had some made up recently so i will be able to get a fair idea of the cost. The willwood hats do not have our PCD, you have to love Lotus’s philosophy securing spare part sales.

Uldis, the handbrake caliper that the noble and modena use would be an ideal solution, our local supplier has one in stock so i will look at application next week. Weight including pads is 1.1 KG’s weighed it for me while i was on the phone, so really not to bad. and far safer than hydraulic which could be used. Need to pick up fire extinguisher from him on wednesday so i will look at the caliper then and see how difficult it would be fit.

Uldis, a few queries if that’s ok. What mm spacers do you have between the hub and the caliper? What do they look like/made of? If I remember correctly, you’re still using the same bolts?

Cheers, Ian

Spacers: don’t remember. Stu sent several and I just used the ones that fit best. I “think” they’re the 4mm ones, so it’s not a lot. They look and fit great, it’s just like a thick alloy washer, and if you look closely at your caliper you’ll see that they follow the same shape and diam. of the end of the casting.

There’s no reason why you couldn’t just use several thinner steel ones and bring up the spacing as you require.

And the bolts, for that length I could use the stock ones but Stu sent longer ones, just to be safe. So I’m using the longer ones.

I’m fitting the 4 pot to the fron with 295 discs.
For the rear i was thinking about the 2 pot + small handbrake caliper. Bought the one from wilwood, but it does not work because it does not have a sliding mech. To make it working u have to fit the caliper on a floating (bending) metal mount…not so elegant.

Now Geary (eliseparts) told me he has some 2 pots with handbrake mechanism. They sould cost around 150 each.
I think i will go this route.

Will let u know.
NicolaS

The handbrake caliper i mentioned earlier is of the sliding variety so should be fine.

So far we have now established that it is quite possible to make it stop better and with the handbrake caliper keep it stopped, now just to make it go faster

Are Geary’s ready?

Because that would be very nice. The thing is that they have been coming for about a year now, and theyr’e always delayed…

i was only talking about the 2 pots rear with handbrake.
If u want to upgrade your brakes, just ask geary, he can provide all sort of solution.
I went for the following:

• front AP 4 pot and 295 Ali belled discs (disc from AP, custom bells)
  • rear ali hubs (from geary with bigger bearings) 295 discs with 2 pot caliper with handbrake
  • rear bias valve

do u think guys i need to change the master cylinder?

Nicolas

That’s what I meant, the Hi-Spec made ones with handbrake.
And no, you didn’t really need the 295mm’s at the rear, and I don’t know the 2 new 2 pots with handbrake, but if they’re the same displacement as the front stock 2 pots, then you should be ok with a bias valve.

Go for the AP screw type though.

Just a quick thought on diddy rear callipers… Need to be cable operated basically. My first thought was motorbike callipers as they’re really small but then “d’oh no hand brake!”…

However aren’t some cable operated?

Just a thought

Will fit 295 to the rear as the hub is designed for those discs. I need to change my discs so why not. With the ali bell i save some kgs…

Will get the valve fitted on motorsport elises. It is from AP…screw type.

If the hubs fit the 3580’s replacement and the 3124s then I could well be interested (saves me specing them and getting somebody to do it).

Let me have an idea on cost.

Ian the guy is on his way to my house to pick up an old disc and the measurements for the ap 3124. We are looking at roughly R450 per bell, ie +/- 38 pounds each.

Will post the exact cost in a few minutes.