13/14 Aug: Lotus Show/LOT Races

Fast.

One of the original Autobytel cars and still running a K-series.

Looks stunning!!!

Thanks!

Unfortunately the k-series let us down. After the first safety car the water temp was going into the 90s so i had to short-shift. My dad then had to spend the rest of the race being even more conservative, but he at least managed to nurse the car home in 3rd with the dashboard ablaze with warning lights!

Normally we’d be delighted with that, but after such a promising start in pole we’re ultimately a bit gutted. My old man also got two points on his license for overtaking a back-market under yellows…lol.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks guys,
I Have had an absolutly fantastic weekend. Two wins Pit crewing for Andy Dolan in the Trophy on Saturday. Then my First Race With Chris in the Cup UK on Sunday, We didn’t Qualify last, Were second from the back so was happy with that. During Qually I had a 211 spin infront of me at redgate and then two laps later Dave Harvys mental 340 dropped a rod right infront of me on the brakes into Redgate so a couple of heart stopping moments on my first quallifying run.
So it’s time for my first race and i’m in the car for the start…a rolling start!!! with the adrenaline pumping I hammered the final chicane as hard as I could and down to start line to try and get a run down to redgate and realised that there were 3 or 4 of us in line all trying to get on to the racing line for the first corner. With me on the inside I braked as late as I dared and turned in, it was bloody close but there was no contact and we all made it out the other side through a cloud of dust that was thrown up by one of the leading cars heading into the gravel. Unfortunatly the other cars around me had got a better drive out of redgate and down the craners and left me at the back of the pack. I then took a moment to compose myself and get some proper heat into the tyres then started to make inroads into the car in front. After a couple of laps I was passing him down the start finish straight. but then lost the place again at the old hairpin. we stayed close for a lap or so then I got a better drive onto the Dunlop straight and got on the inside for the chicane. We both braked as late as we dared, But both lost it and spun at the same time. :crazy: No contact but he unfortunalty made it into the edge of the gravel but I stayed on the track and was able to carry on. After a few laps of me being on my own the Lead cars were on me and Lapping me. I tryed to keep out of there way as didn’t want to upset the lead battle but after about 6 or 7 cars had come past the safety car was deployed for a car stuck in the gravel at the top of the circuit between Mcleans and Coppice. 4 or 5 laps behind the safety car and then a second rolling start from the middle of the pack with all the really fast guys all round me trying to make the best of the restart with the pack all bunched up again. So I just did my best to not get in there way without loosing to much of my own pace. A couple of laps later I was being lapped By gav (tarmac terrorist) who gave me a little wave as he went past on the straight :crazy:. Another fantastic few laps later after trying to keep with the faster production class cars, I was then given my “IN” signal from the pit crew and duely made my way into the pitlane for the 3 minute stop and our driver change over. Wow, I can breath again…30 minutes of awesome fun over in what seamed like seconds. Chris was then out in the car and running well. He also had a safety car period to deal with. The other teams were then doing pitstops etc. So we watched from the pitwall until the end of the race. Then I looked at the timing screen and we were classed 16th out 19!!! bloody amasing don’t know how but I heard some people got penalties for pit stops etc so I guess that could be why. but Hay a Great result, we finished and we were not last :smiley:
Just want to say a big thanks for all those who wished me well for my 1st race and to those who came along to watch. And also a massive thanks to Chris for letting me share the car with him. Can’t wait for my next race.

Great write up Steve - you did yourself proud, & we all really enjoyed being there to support the teams of CAM Racing & Vizzini Bathrooms. :sunglasses:

PS Think I’ll now get a woolley hat like yours… :smiley:

Cheers Rob,

You will have to talk to mother about the Hat!!! :wink:

Steve,

Well done for your 1st race, it was a nice synchronised pirouette at the esses.

You are 16th out of 19; none of the cars behind you got penalties.

[quote=STEVE.E]Cheers Rob,

You will have to talk to mother about the Hat!!! :wink:[/quote]

I did mate - you can imagine the response though! :smiley:

Well done Steve, great to see the old team over the weekend as well!

Well done to the Fenns and Steve, great to have you guys to cheer on. I was really gutted for you, Rob, as the car was running so well and nice to see you ahead of the 2-11s, especially still running a K! The car is just wonderful to see out there. Steve - a terrific drive and thanks for writing so eloquently about it. Best of luck in your next encounters.

Any Exigers off to Brands for the DTM-supporting Elise Trophy rounds? Last year’s second race was the finest scrap I saw all season.

Thanks Mark, Even better result then. :smiley:

Bet that synchronised spin would have made Russ Swift Jelous ! :wink:

[quote=chevronb37]Well done to the Fenns and Steve, great to have you guys to cheer on. I was really gutted for you, Rob, as the car was running so well and nice to see you ahead of the 2-11s, especially still running a K! The car is just wonderful to see out there. Steve - a terrific drive and thanks for writing so eloquently about it. Best of luck in your next encounters.

Any Exigers off to Brands for the DTM-supporting Elise Trophy rounds? Last year’s second race was the finest scrap I saw all season. [/quote]

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, its nice to still be representing the K-Series contingent. Its normally reliable, honest!

Sadly i won’t be at the DTM event, but will be at the official championship race at Brands in October (i think). The DTM race is non-points scoring ASFAIK.

It was great meeting up with some familiar faces on Saturday. Thanks for making me welcome folks!

I’d have loved to come along and support Steve and all in the race on Sunday, but work commitments got in the way.

Great to see you & Julie, Brendan - neither of you looking a day older than when, iirc, we last saw you at Rockingham in 2006!

Hope you can get along to future events & meet some more of your old mates from exiges.com :smiley:

Well done guys. Gutted that I could not make it but the pre-Olympic bike race road closures left me land-locked at home all morning on Sunday :frowning:

[quote=englebert][quote=chevronb37]Well done to the Fenns and Steve, great to have you guys to cheer on. I was really gutted for you, Rob, as the car was running so well and nice to see you ahead of the 2-11s, especially still running a K! The car is just wonderful to see out there. Steve - a terrific drive and thanks for writing so eloquently about it. Best of luck in your next encounters.

Any Exigers off to Brands for the DTM-supporting Elise Trophy rounds? Last year’s second race was the finest scrap I saw all season. [/quote]

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, its nice to still be representing the K-Series contingent. Its normally reliable, honest!

Sadly i won’t be at the DTM event, but will be at the official championship race at Brands in October (i think). The DTM race is non-points scoring ASFAIK. [/quote]

Of course it’s normally reliable :wink: I think we actually exchanged a few e-mails last year, Rob. I took some shots of your NSX at Silverstone. Small world, huh? How is the NSX running? Weren’t you building a Super GT500 version or did I imagine that?

Sounds familiar! The NSX is getting there, slowly. We have an experienced driver(Rob Barff) carrying out testing with it to iron out the faults. Its been frustratingly slow progress, but should be ready to race next year.

Still got plans to build a Super GT car, but not until next year at least.

Here’s a pic of the NSX with Martin Donnelly driving. I took it out for half a lap and it dropped its oil…lol

I don’t suppose you have any other photos of the Elise you could send over? I like to put a race report together for my adoring fans, and a few photos would be nice to go with it…

Cheers

Rob

[quote=englebert] I like to put a race report together for my adoring fans, and a few photos would be nice to go with it…

Cheers

Rob[/quote]

God bless sponsors, eh! :smiley:

[quote=englebert]Sounds familiar! The NSX is getting there, slowly. We have an experienced driver(Rob Barff) carrying out testing with it to iron out the faults. Its been frustratingly slow progress, but should be ready to race next year.

Still got plans to build a Super GT car, but not until next year at least.

Here’s a pic of the NSX with Martin Donnelly driving. I took it out for half a lap and it dropped its oil…lol

I don’t suppose you have any other photos of the Elise you could send over? I like to put a race report together for my adoring fans, and a few photos would be nice to go with it…

Cheers

Rob [/quote]

Always have a soft spot for the NSX!!!